Sunday, February 2, 2014

Transfer 3.6: Exchanges are Awkward

Good Morning Dimmsdale!

I only say that because of the flash to the past that Sister Bickmore and I have been doing this past couple of days. Nothing like bursting into the theme song "Fairly Odd Parents" to keep your spirits bright, eh?

To be honest, I don't have too much to update on this week. It has been fairly normal. I will do what I can to make this an interesting blog entry, however. Which means discussing the awkward nature of occasionally going on exchanges with Bickmore Shimai.

As we all know, I am awkward. Socially, physically (you should have seen me dropping a billion things at Daiso today) ... We all know it is true. It can't be helped. It is a fact that I have come to accept in life. Added on with Sister Bickmore's own awkwardness, it made for an interesting day.

For example, when we began to hand out flyers at the train station, before we were even able to open our mouths, a very very very drunk man approached us and started talking to us. I can't understand sober Japanese very well, let alone drunk Japanese, but I am pretty sure he was telling us to go teach English in Singapore, or something. And that we were very pretty ladies. I thought that was nice of him to say. 

Then we went to hand out flyers at a different location. At this location, there are a lot of college students waiting to cross the street and so it is easy to hand out flyers, but Japanese people are very very good at ignoring people who are trying to give them flyers. So I came up with a method... Called the "extend a flyer and then wait with a big smile until they take it" method. It worked pretty well... For the most part.

You see, we aren't really suppose to talk to people of the opposite sex. Especially people who are close to our age. But we can give anyone a flyer. But the "smile at them expectantly" method gets awkward when you let it get awkward, especially when it is college guys. Yeah. I am leaving it at that. Also, I gestured to a guys bike and was like "suteki" which means like, "wow, cool" or "good looking" and I am pretty sure he thought I was talking about him and not the bike. YEAH MOST AWKWARD MOMENT OF MY LIFE. Don't call the bike suteki. Don't do it. It makes you seem like an awful missionary. 

Up to this point, we have had laptops in our apartments, but no longer! We have updated! Through a little thing called "fulfilling our purpose using mobile devices". And that is what is up. The work of the Lord is hastening. It is a simple as that. So this week, we handed over our laptops and were handed a shiny new iPad mini! These, of course, aren't ours. They belong to the mission. We will keep the same one until we return home and at that time, we will pass it onto another missionary. But it is exciting to be able to have this new tool. 

But on our laptops, there was a sticker that said "DON'T BE STUPID. -Jeffery R. Holland" and I heard the story behind it. You see, a couple of mission presidents ago, he really wanted the missionaries to have laptops, but when he went to the Quorum of the 12 about it they said "absolutely not." so he said "Pray about it." and so they did. When the reconvened, Elder Holland said that they could have laptops, but all the laptops had to have a sticker that said "DON'T BE STUPID" with his name. And so it was.

That is, at least, the story I heard. It could be totally wrong for all I know.

I hope you have a great week! I love you all so very, very much!

D&C 88:73 
Genesis 21:6

Sister Teagan Clark
Japan Tokyo South Mission
1-7-7 Kichijoji Higashi-Cho
Musashino-Shi, Tokyo
180-0002
JAPAN

No comments:

Post a Comment